The application for the 2024 program will open on Feb. 1, 2024.
For more than a decade, the Arizona Center for Civic Leadership at the Flinn Foundation has offered the premier statewide civic-leadership program for experienced Arizona leaders to expand their knowledge, put their connections to use, and make a difference in their communities.
About 25 Arizonans from all walks of life and perspectives are selected each spring, following a highly competitive application and interview process, to join the network of more than 435 Flinn-Brown Fellows and participate in the Flinn-Brown Academy, which begins in August and includes 11 full-day sessions plus the annual Flinn-Brown Convention. The 2023 Flinn-Brown Fellows were announced in May.
In addition to biographical information, the 2023 application included essay prompts regarding the applicant’s leadership experience, public policy interest, civic-leadership goals, civic discourse, and a favorite quote. Applicants also submitted two letters of endorsement, a current resume, and a 20-second introductory video regarding their interest in the Flinn-Brown Fellowship. In addition, applicants were required to confirm their ability to attend all Academy sessions, and candidates who qualify for an interview must submit an employer approval form completed by the candidate’s employer.
The most competitive applicants are clearly willing to strive, risk, and cooperate to lead in Arizona’s state government and respond to statewide issues. All applicants must reside in Arizona. Flinn-Brown looks for Arizonans who are savvy and self-aware, with:
- A passion to be a long-term player in state government and state and community leadership circles;
- Broad contributions to a career field or interest area;
- Sustained community involvement and a public profile;
- An established career path;
- A deep curiosity about people and issues;
- The time—and personal and professional capacity—to take on a new challenge now;
- High ethical standards, commitment to civility, and a keen interest in working with people from different perspectives;
- The desire to work to attain or advance to state-level leadership in the next few years.
Meet the 2023 Flinn-Brown Fellows
Please contact Jennifer Papworth with any questions.
Stay up-to-date about the Flinn-Brown Fellowship and application timelines, as well as additional Arizona Center for Civic Leadership programming and news, by joining our email list.