Flinn-Brown Academy at a glance
- Prestigious Peers: The diverse Fellows chosen from throughout Arizona each year for Flinn-Brown are recognized broadly as strong leaders ready to go further.
- Rich Experience: The Fellowship begins with twelve full-day Academy sessions on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, with supplementary readings tied to seminar topics, and participation in the annual Flinn-Brown Convention.
- Tuition-free: There is no cost to participate in the Flinn-Brown Fellowship. Mileage reimbursement and hotel accommodations are provided for participants outside of Maricopa County. Meals and supplies for seminar days are provided.
- Nonpartisan Design: The focus is on policy, politics, and solutions to Arizona’s pressing challenges. Interactive sessions include essential facts and figures, examination of policy choices, and articulation of key perspectives.
- Exceptional Presenters: They include highly experienced elected and appointed officials, executives, judges, scholars, and other experts engaged in decision-making at highest levels, plus political analysis from active state-level practitioners.
- Personal Growth: Offering unique components for self-assessment and practice of leadership, skills-focused learning events, individualized connections, long-term support, and leadership opportunities.
- Great Expectations: All Fellows commit to advance toward their civic-leadership goals in the near term, and to offer and seek support from colleagues in the Flinn-Brown Network beyond the Flinn-Brown Academy.
2022 Flinn-Brown Academy Schedule
Thursday, August 11 : Economy & Demographics/Meet-and-Greet
Friday, August 12: Government and Budget
Friday, August 26: PreK-12 Education
Saturday, August 27: Higher Education
Thursday, September 8: Public Health and Health Care
Friday, September 9: Human Services
Friday, September 23: Environment
Saturday, September 24: Infrastructure
Thursday, October 6: Criminal Justice
Friday, October 7: Communications and Media Relations
Friday, October 14: Civic Participation/Fellows Projects and Recognition Reception
Friday, November 4 : Annual Convention at Desert Botanical Garden
(Schedule subject to change)
About 25 Arizonans are selected each year for the Fellowship in a highly competitive application and interview process.
The 2022 Flinn-Brown Academy application will open on February 1, 2022. The deadline to apply is Monday, February 28, 2022.
Register for our virtual information sessions throughout January and February to ask questions and learn more about the program.
For more information, contact Sara Bertram.
Stay up-to-date about the Flinn-Brown Fellowship and future application timelines, as well as additional Arizona Center for Civic Leadership programming and news, by joining our email list.