Next spring, 20 of the most outstanding high-school seniors in Arizona will be selected as the 36th class of Flinn Scholars. Do you dare miss the chance to join this absolutely brilliant, fun-loving, globe-trotting community of young adults ready to make a difference in Arizona and the world?
The Flinn Scholarship application deadline is Monday, Oct. 5, 2020.
Before you start your application, familiarize yourself with the process described here and elsewhere on our website, including this online information-session presentation. And learn how the Flinn Scholarship is about who you become and the impact you make.
Components of the Flinn Scholarship Application
The Flinn Scholarship application is comprised of:
- Forms that collect biographical and family data and information about current studies, extracurricular activities, and employment;
- Three essay prompts—Preview them now—and five short-answer questions;
- Two teacher recommendations, submitted separately by your teachers;
- A report from your high school’s academic counselor, submitted separately by your counselor (and, at the option of that academic counselor, a recommendation if they know you well enough to provide one);
- A copy of your transcript, uploaded by your counselor;
- Copies of your SAT and/or ACT score reports, sent directly to the Flinn Scholars Program (enter Code 2175). Scores from the October 3, 2020 SAT and October 10, 2020 ACT do count for our process. (For current applicants, submission of the ACT or SAT is optional).
It is your responsibility to ensure that all application components are submitted and received by the Flinn Scholars Program by the deadline:
- For applicants » Monday, October 5, 2020.
- For teacher and counselor recommendations » Monday, October 19, 2020.
The application season is incredibly demanding for your teachers and counselors, and they deserve advance notice if you want them to write recommendations. They will likely welcome polite inquiries as their deadline approaches to confirm that they have submitted the recommendations.
Have questions about applying? Join Flinn staff on Zoom for live Q&A:
Criteria such as grade-point average and class rank play a part in the Flinn Scholarship selection process, but they are not the sole basis for our decisions.
We evaluate a student’s academic achievement, leadership and involvement, service to the community, ability to communicate, and personal characteristics. Each factor is an important part of the holistic picture that you present to us.
Learn more about the Flinn Scholarship’s benefits and requirements, as well as review tips and frequently asked questions, from these sections of our website:
Now, it’s time to begin your application.
Send questions about the application process at any time to email@example.com or call (602) 744-6802.