Does your dream of college include the opportunity to travel abroad, conduct research, and pursue creative expression? The flexibility to explore different fields and majors? The support to pursue internships and volunteer experiences? A talented, welcoming, and driven community of friends to share the journey? Becoming a Flinn Scholar means having all this—and the ability to graduate debt-free from one of Arizona’s public universities.
In scope and value, the Flinn Scholarship is unlike almost any other undergraduate merit-based scholarship in the United States. The scholarship—valued at more than $130,000—covers tuition, fees, housing, and meals at one of Arizona’s three public universities, plus study abroad.
Applicants should begin with these steps:
- Review this page and flier.
- Watch the online information session to learn how to build a strong application.
- Sign up for emails from the Flinn Scholars Program to stay updated on important dates.
- Start your application.
Components of the Flinn Scholarship Application
The Flinn Scholarship application is comprised of:
- Forms that collect biographical data and information about current studies, extracurricular activities, and employment;
- Three essay prompts;
- One academic/teacher recommendation, submitted separately by a high-school teacher;
- One leadership/service recommendation, submitted separately by a teacher, professor, coach, employer, or community member;
- A copy of your transcript and school profile, uploaded by your high school academic counselor on the counselor report;
- A copy of SAT or ACT scores (no minimum score needed to apply).
Criteria such as grade-point average and class rank play a part in the Flinn Scholarship selection process, but they are not the sole basis for our decisions.
We evaluate a student’s academic achievement, leadership and involvement, service to the community, ability to communicate, and personal characteristics. Each factor is an important part of the holistic picture that you present to us.
Learn more about the Flinn Scholarship’s benefits and requirements, as well as review tips and frequently asked questions, from these sections of the website:
Send questions about the application process at any time to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (602) 744-6802.