Flinn-Brown helps experienced civic leaders from throughout Arizona expand their knowledge, skills, and networks to help address Arizona’s long-term issues.
Every year, 25 Arizonans are selected for membership in the Flinn-Brown Civic Leadership Academy in a highly competitive statewide process. Flinn-Brown builds Fellows’ expertise in policy and politics and introduces them to many of the networks that make things happen in Arizona.
Flinn-Brown is intense, challenging, rewarding, and lasting. Fellows experience up-to-the moment seminars, long-term support, and participation in the formal Flinn-Brown Network—a powerful body drawn from across all cohorts.
Who becomes a Flinn-Brown Fellow?
Flinn-Brown Fellows range from very conservative to very liberal in perspective. They represent the business, industry, nonprofit, education, academia, and government sectors.
Diversity of opinion and experience is fundamental to Flinn-Brown. Fellows learn from one another, and their breadth enhances the Flinn-Brown Network.
Fellows share a commitment to working across perspectives and expanding their state-level public service in the near term as:
- elected officials;
- members of boards and commissions;
- agency and institutional executives;
- policy advisors;
- statewide organization executives;
- leaders in organizations that affect public policy.
Flinn-Brown Civic Leadership Academy seminars at a glance
- Highly Competitive: Applications closed for 2019. Register for email notification about future application periods.
- Intense Experience: 14 full-day Academy sessions on Fridays and Saturdays over roughly 12 weeks. Pre- and post-seminar reading and resources.
- No cost: Tuition-free. Mileage reimbursement and hotel accommodations provided for participants outside of Maricopa County. Meals, refreshments, social activities, supplies provided.
- Nonpartisan Seminars: Focus on policy, politics, and solutions to Arizona’s pressing challenges. Interactive sessions include essential facts and figures, examination of policy choices, and articulation of key perspectives.
- Exceptional Presenters: Highly experienced elected and appointed officials, judges, executives, scholars, and other experts engaged in decision-making at highest levels. Political analysis from active state-level practitioners.
- Personal Growth: Unique components for assessment (Strong Foundations for Achieving Civic Leadership) and practice of leadership, skills-focused learning events, individualized connections and long-term support, leadership opportunities.
- Great Expectations: All Fellows should: achieve state-level civic leadership within next few years; give and receive support from Flinn-Brown Network far beyond seminar series.
Sample Academy seminar topics
- State Budget; Arizona Fiscal System
- K-12 and Higher Education
- Economy and Workforce
- Health Systems
- Human Systems
- Corrections and courts
- Tribes in Arizona
- Water and Energy Resources
- Rural and Urban Interests
- Military Affairs
- Arizona-Mexico Trade, Security, and Community
- Arts and Culture
- Societal Trends
- Leading by Example; Leading by Design