Apply now for 2009 High School Summer Internship Program (SIP)
The Biodesign Institute is providing summer laboratory internships for 10 qualified high school students. These are unpaid internships, but scholarships are available for economically disadvantaged students that provide compensation for time, travel and expenses.
This program provides a unique opportunity for 10 students to work closely with researchers in a world-class research institute, gaining hands-on experience with actual, current research projects. Students must commit to a minimum 20 volunteer hours per week during the 6 week program plus a full day of final project presentations, although actual hours may vary. Every student will receive a minimum of 90 volunteer hours in the Institute. Volunteer hours must be completed on Mondays through Fridays from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., June 8 – July 20, 2009.
The high school student must…
- Be legally eligible for employment in the United States of America,
- Have completed their junior year and be entering their senior year in good standing,
- Be at least 16 years old by the start of the program,
- Completed a biotechnology class with a grade of “C” or better (any AP science class can substitute for the biotechnology course prerequisite),
- Provide a letter of recommendation and assessment from one of their teachers (see application instructions)
- Submit a completed application packet, which has complete instructions for submitting materials.
Selection will weigh heavily on…
- Teachers’ confidential assessment and recommendation letter,
- Quality of the application
Students who are determined economically disadvantaged as determined by free-and-reduced lunch eligibility will have a weighted credit attached to their application in recognition of barriers frequently faced by these students in access to/participation in advanced science, technology and mathematic programs.
Application materials can be downloaded here. Applications may be submitted by…
1. Mailed applications must be postmarked by Friday, April 24, 2009.
Send all mailed application to:
Summer Internship Program
c/o Communications Department
Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University
P.O. Box 875001
Tempe, AZ 85287
2. Faxed applications must be received by Monday, April 27, 2009.
Fax applications with a cover sheet to: Summer Internship Program, (480)727-8305
3. Delivered applications must be delivered to the front desk in the Biodesign Institute by 5 p.m. Monday, April 27, 2009. Delivered applications must be in an envelope labeled “Summer Internship Program.” Directions to the Biodesign Institute are available on our website: www.biodesign.asu.edu/
Notifications of acceptance to the 2009 Summer Internship Program will be May 11, 2009.
Announcement regarding the 2009 Summer Internship Program.
Please check our programs page for information regarding our upcoming teacher professional development workshops.
Click here for a copy of the 2008 Educational Outreach Legislative Report.